Who Said It: Jack White or Willy Wonka?
Jack White is frequently referred to as the Willy Wonka of Rock, and not just because of his penchant for outlandish suits. Both White and Wonka are quirky masterminds who cultivate an air of mystery, and both are obsessed with things like childhood innocence, riddles, and rhyming. Much like Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, White’s Third Man Records is as much about whimsical gimmickry as it is about selling product — and just for good measure, the rocker even claims his TMR HQ once housed a candy factory.
So, we decided to pull quotes from Wonka’s dialogue in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory and White’s various songs and interviews to see if you can guess who said what.
(Answers at the bottom. No Googling!)
1. Nobody knows how to talk to children.
2. Another thing you should've known from the start, the problems in hand are lighter than at heart.
3. Where is fancy bred, in the heart or in the head?
4. For some moments in life, there are no words.
5. It's always with trust that the poison is fed with a spoon.
6. The old explorers had it easy. They discovered nothing new.
7. You've gotta go forwards to go back.
8. I can't go on forever, and I don't really want to try.
9. Sugar never tasted so good.
10. I guess you have to have a problem if you want to invent a contraption.
11. There are children today who are lied to, they're told the world is rightfully theirs. They can have what they want, whenever they want. They take like Caesar and nobody cares.
12. You should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about.
13. Inside this room, all of my dreams become realities. And some of my realities
14. We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
15. If the good Lord had intended us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates.
16. High and low may I go, but God only knows just where I am going.
17. Everything that is happy and fun now is an attempt at recreating your backyard when you first saw others and dreamt that with them you could be happier than you were alone.
18. A grown-up would want to do everything his own way, not mine.
19. Everyone wants to eat their dessert first.
20. Take a last lick of your ice cream cone, and lock up what you still want to own.
21. There was a time when all I wanted was my ice cream colder and a little cream soda.
22. Time is a precious thing. Never waste it.
23. Some everyday people really aren't in search of the truth. They're in search of something worse than that.
24. Truth doesn’t make a noise.
25. A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
26. No other factory in the world mixes its chocolate by waterfall.
1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24
3, 4, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 22, 25, 26