5 Things My Dad Taught Me: Damon Wayans, Jr.
Attached to two greenlit sitcoms on major television networks, Damon Wayans, Jr. has carved out his own path in Hollywood. Being a member of one of comedy's most prolific dynasties probably didn't hurt either. ANTENNA got the New Girl actor to break down the best advice he received from his pops, Damon Wayans.
1. There’s no vanity in comedy. Never think you’re too cool or sexy to be funny.
2. Comedy isn’t brain surgery. It’s either funny or it’s not, so don’t overthink it.
3. A funny character is 10 times funnier than someone just saying funny things.
4. Go for it. If you have something funny to say or do, do it. No matter what. Even if production is in a hurry or you have a director who wants to move on. It helps keep your performance fresh.
5. Sleep with all your co-stars. No condoms. Helps with the on-screen chemistry.
(This article originally appeared in the Fall 2011 issue of ANTENNA.)